Background

7.29.2008

A morning tradition

Alma once counseled his son, Helaman, to have an "everlasting hatred against sin and iniquity" and to "withstand every temptation of the devil." (Alma 37:23-33)

I worry about the world our adult children are entering. There seems little hatred for sin and iniquity. On the contrary, it is tolerated. Tolerating sin and iniquity is merely a cousin to embracing it. That worries me. I hope it worries my children.

For the last 20+ years, we had a morning tradition in our family. I always had an individual prayer with each of them as they left the house every morning. I miss those precious moments. They should know, however, I still have a prayer every morning for each of them. Why? Becase every day brings new temptations. And every day our hatred towards sin and iniquity must be renewed. A repetitive prayer? Absolutely. Redundant? Of course. Necessary? To me, it is.

No comments: